I converted from my Palm OS to Android about a year and a half ago. My conversion methods are detailed in this Blog. My girlfriend also converted from Palm to Android maybe two months after me. However, she been carrying two phones since then, her Treo 755p and her Android. Reason being, she did not want to suffer through transferring her eWallet passwords to her Android. Well this weekend we bit the bullet and got it done. Here is how.
What you’ll need.
- A PC running Windows XP and one running Windows 7 or a modern version of Windows.
- Your Palm Smart Phone and USB Hotsync cable
- Palm Desktop 6.2 on the XP PC. Download from HP’s site here.
- eWallet 6.1 for PC and for Palm OS. Download from Iliumsoft.com here. (Free trail for 30 days)
- Current version of eWallet for Windows. (Version 7 as of this writing.) This is for the Windows 7 PC Download from Iliumsoft.com here. (Free trail for 30 days)
- eWallet GO! for Android. Download from the Market here.
Migrate passwords from Palm to Android
eWallet on Palm OS -> Palm Desktop 6.2 -> eWallet 6.1 -> eWallet Backup File -> eWallet 7 -> eWallet GO! for Android.
Step 1. Get your eWallet passwords onto your Palm Desktop on the XP PC.
- If you don’t already have it, download and install the Palm Desktop 6.2 from HP here
- Likewise download and install the eWallet 6.1 from Iliumsoft.com here if needed.
- Run the HotSync Manager. Start -> All Programs -> Palm -> Hotsync Manager. Then right click over the HotSync Manager Icon on your task bar and choose Settings.
- Click on Applications and un-check every application except eWallet.
- Click the Configure button and choose Handheld overwrites Desktop
- If you have any protected memos in the memo pad you’ll need that password
- Press the Hotsync button.
If all goes well you’ll have your eWallet passwords sync’ed to your PC.
Step 2. Backup your eWallet file and transfer it to your Windows 7 PC
- Run eWallet, enter your password, then choose Tools -> Make Backup… Choose location and file name to save you eWallet backup file
- Transfer your eWallet backup file from you XP system to your Window 7 system. Popular methods are email, usb key drive, Dropbox, Sugar Sync, ftp, etc…
You now have your passwords on the Windows 7 box. Almost there.
Step 3.Convert your wallet to eWallet 7.0 on Windows 7
(You might be able to do this on the XP machine as well,I did not try it.)
- Download and install eWallet 7 from Iliumsoft.com here.
- Launch eWallet and open the backed up wallet you transferred earlier.
- Say yes to the format conversion confirmation
- Backup your converted Wallet to your hard drive
You’ve got your wallet in the version 7 format.
Step 4. Convert your eWallet file to eWallet GO! format
- Download the eWallet to eWallet GO! conversion tool from Iliumsoft.com here.
- Install the above tool. If you get an error stating you need “Microsoft Common Language Runtime Version 4.0.30319.0”. Download that from Microsoft.com here.
- Run the eWallet GO! conversion utility and import the Wallet you backed in eWallet version 7.
- Follow the remaining steps to save your converted wallet to Dropbox. If you don’t have drop box visit The Dropbox official site to open an account. You can also use Google Docs as a backup medium.
Step 5. Import the eWallet GO! Wallet into your Android
Okay, the last step is the easiest one.
- Purchase, download, and install eWallet GO! for Android from the Market here
- Start eWallet GO! on your Android
- Choose Menu -> More > Restore -> Dropbox and enter your Dropbox login and password
- Press Restore.
Now your passwords are on your Android. All is right with the world.
Let us know if you have a better way to get your eWallet passwords from your Palm device to your Android. And, as always let me know if you have any issues with this procedure.
Please leave comments below. If you have questions feel free to post them our new forum here.