In this continuing series on my conversion from PalmOS to Android I discuss my solution for getting your PalmOS Memos onto you Android hand held computer. To read Part 3 click here: SplashID: Palm to Android
This might have been the simplest conversion I’ve made thus far. You know exactly what you want. You want all your Palm memos, properly formatted and in appropriate categories magically transported to your Android device. My solution involves using Note Everything from Softxperience. Their website appears to be in German only. You can download Note Everything from the Android Market for free. There is also a Note Everything Pro version that gives extra bells and whistles. But, thankfully you don’t need to shell out for the Pro version to import your Palm Memos.
Transfer Memos From PalmOS to Your Android
1. Sync your memos to your Palm Desktop. If you don’t have the Desktop software you can get it here: Palm Desktop Software.
If your Hotsync hangs while you are syncing your Memos, like mine did, you may have corrupted records in your Memo Pad. I used Pimlico Software’s dbscan software (located here dbScan) to Remove All Deleted Records.
2. In the Palm Desktop choose Memos, highlight all your Memos and then File -> Export. Choose “csv,txt” file format and choose a location and name for your exported file. Place a check mark next to Category and Memo leaving Private unchecked. Also, re-order the three items so that the order is Category, Memo, then Private.
3. Connect and mount your Android device via USB to your computer. Then, copy the file you created in step 2 to your device.
4. Download Note Everything from the Android Market and install it.
5. In Note Everything. Select the Menu then Import. Next choose “Import from Palm Memos”. Feel free to visit the web site that pops up. (Basically these instructions.)
6. Navigate to and choose the csv file you transferred onto your Android’s SD card in steps 3.
7. That’s it. Your Palm Memos are now on your Android device in separate Note Everything folders. Incidental, folders are accessible by selecting the Menu and choosing Select Folder.
Told you that was easy.
Please leave comments below. If you have questions feel free to post them our new forum here.